On October 17, 2016, PACIFICO Yokohama submitted a proposal for “Operation of the convention facilities” that the city of Yokohama was planning and preparing to build on its adjacent site. We are happy to announce that PACIFICO Yokohama was designated as the operating company by the Yokohama Committee for the Promotion of the Private Finance Initiative that consisted of third-party experts. As the center for convention facilities of Yokohama, which is a gateway to the world attracting large numbers of tourists and international conventions, we will be working continuously toward making contributions to the revitalization of the local community by strengthening Yokohama’s convention capability.
Overview of the operation of Convention facilities in Block 20 at Minato Mirai 21 Chuo district
1. Business Summary
(1) Operating Company: Pacific Convention Plaza Yokohama Ltd.
(2) Business Summary
- Name: Convention facilities operation in Block 20 in Minato Mirai 21 Chuo district
- Address: 9, 1-chome, Minato Mirai, Nishi-ku, Yokohama City, and other areas
- Business Description: Public service operation in convention facilities of Block 20 in Minato Mirai 21 Chuo district
- Contract Term: From the end of March (*1), 2017 to March 31, 2040, during which the concession period will be set between April 2020 (tentative) and March 31, 2040.
*1: The contract will be completed after the Yokohama City Assembly makes a decision about the term of the concession.
- Type of Business: Public service concession
2. Proposals Overview
(1) Strengthening Yokohama’s convention capability
- We will secure business opportunities with certain types of events whose requirements have not been fully satisfied by the existing convention facilities (PACIFICO Yokohama) while actively inviting mid to large-sized conferences.
- We will create a new market by inviting large corporate incentive events with thousands of people.
(2) Synergy expected from operating the new facilities together with the existing ones (PACIFICO Yokohama)
- We will provide the organizers with the perfect environment to hold events with confidence while supporting them with the highly-reputed quality services and human and physical resources of PACIFICO Yokohama.
- We will standardize users’ application forms to make sure that the rental procedure is easy and stress-free.
(3) Contribution to the local community through events at the convention facilities
- We will create an optimal environment for event visitors to be able to easily get around the city, which will result in a larger economic effect.
- We will promote a better understanding of multiculturalism and create opportunities for the younger generation through volunteer activities.
- We will improve the brand power and presence of Yokohama by inviting more international conventions, exhibitions and events.
Late March 2017
Public services concession contract will be completed.
From April 2017
Preparation and invitation of events prior to the opening of Convention facilities in Block 20 starts.
Starting the operation of Convention facilities in Block 20 and setting the concession period.
(1) The committee’s resolution on the operation of Convention facilities in Block 20 at Minato Mirai 21 Chuo district
Press release by the city of Yokohama:
Designation of the operating company of “Convention facilities in Block 20 at Minato Mirai 21 Chuo district”
(2) Convention facilities in Block 20: Overview
The facilities will include a multi-purpose hall (7,600 sqm) that will be one of the largest halls in the country, and meeting rooms of large/medium/small size (total: 6,500 sqm).
The construction of Convention facilities in Block 20 at Minato Mirai 21 Chuo district
The website of Culture and Tourism Bureau of Yokohama City
Press release by the city of Yokohama:
The winning bidder for the construction of Convention facilities in Block 20 at Minato Mirai 21 Chuo district